PAROISSE ST. ISIDORE CATHOLIC PARISH
HISTORY: * Ref. Plamondon History Books: I and II and WCR.
As you enter the Hamlet of Plamondon, located on Highway 858, approximately 3 km. north of Highway 55, you will see the spectacular view dominated by its church tower. It also makes us understand why our ancestors chose this little valley to establish their roots.
Our pioneers prospered quite well in Provemont, Michigan, USA, however, as the families grew; they realized that land was not readily available for their children.
farmlands of the Western prairies.
Groups gathered to make plans to immigrate to Alberta with the hope that they could have an abundance of land, preserve their language, their religion and political beliefs in this new land.
After many days of travel by train and then ox carts, they arrived in a beautiful valley on July 1915, 1908, settled by the spruce trees as a group and thanked God for their safe arrival.
Our Faith, Our Parish
- 1908: The first pioneers, being a strong religious group, celebrated their first mass outdoors. Father LeGoffe, OMI, from the Lac La Biche Mission (Notre Dame des Victoires) offered his services to say mass once a month in the pioneer homes. However, he indicated that the major feast days would require travel to the Mission until a church could be constructed. An educational and spiritual system was also available for students wanting to board there until a school was built.
- 1909: First official visit by this Excellency Bishop Legal who confirmed the children.
- 1910: Joseph Plamondon and some community members built a log cabin that would serve as a school, chapel and stopping place. Mass services where then held in this building.
- 1911: The first little log church was constructed out of logs near the original site by the spruce trees.
- 1913: The log church was moved to the new village site.
- 1915: St. Isidore Parish is officially recognized. It was named after the Spanish saint who was known as a model caretaker of the earth and also in honour of Isidore Plamondon who had encouraged settlement in the West.
- 1915: Father Lepage arrives as the first residential priest.
- 1915: First Church Council is formed.
- 1916: A small rectory is built to accommodate the priest.
- 1916: The cemetery is established on the north side of Plamondonville. (Official title: 1921)
- 1916: Ladies of St. Anne form an organization.
- 1917: St. Isidore Parish had its first retreat. To mark this event, four crosses were erected at different points in the area.
- 1918: With the Spanish Flu epidemic, the whole community gathers to pray and help each other.
- 1926: The little church was moved
- *** This small church had many functions; it was used as a health clinic, a community centre, a place for catechism, a school for one year and a movie theatre till 1972.
- 1928: After two years of construction, the new and larger church was able to accommodate the growing community with mass celebrated on May 6, 1928.
- 1936: Les Filles de Jesus (Daughters of Jesus) arrived to serve the community in the educational sector. A temporary building was renovated until the new convent was built in 1941. ** They remained till 1982?
- 1939: WW II
- 1941: A new convent is built and named Notre-Dame-de-la Joie.
- 1948: Bishop Baudoux inaugurates the Diocese of St. Paul.
- 1953: Christian Crusade group was organized.
- 1959: The Knights of Columbus are formed. * An official Plamondon Executive is formed in 1972.
- 1961: A new and spacious rectory is built.
- 1973: The interior of the church is completely renovated. It was only in 1977 that natural gas was installed. The roof was also shingled in 1979.
- 1973: The convent is sold to private individuals.
- 1975: The is formed.
- 1976-2002: The first little church was home to the Plamondon & District Museum.
- 1979: Cemetery research and studies provided a new map of names and locations.
- 1982: Parish priest Father Bureau with the help of others, constructed a realistic, life-size sculpture of a youthful St. Isidore behind his plough. Also, hand crafted they made an altar and baptismal bowl.
- 1983: A large crucifix is erected in the cemetery.
- 1984: Church renovations were started with a complete foundation and new siding.
- 1984: A group of people presented to the Plamondon and area residents a for Easter.
- 1984: A Parish Pastoral Council is formed.
- 1988: The Parish Pastoral Council forms Structural Committees; Financial, Liturgy, Special Sessions Planning: Communion to House- Ridden sick, Baptismal, Church Banners, Sacristan, First Communion, Confession and Confirmation preparations, church and rectory house cleaning, church year maintenance, Parish Photo Album, Bulletin, Sunday Collection Management, Sunday School, Welcoming and Readers.
- 2000: A cross erected turning north towards Plamondon off Highway 55.
- 2000: The St. Isidore Parish Maintenance Committee is formed.
- 2000: St. Isidore Choir members produced a Christmas CD.
- 2002: Historical Chapelle Society is formed. Restoration also began.
- 2004: A 20 acre land parcel is purchased to re-locate the little church. It was moved to its present location in 2005.
- 2006: The church blue prints are finally stamped and the basement is the first part of the huge renovation to be undertaken.
- 2011: After one year of skilled labour and many volunteers, the church in all its beautyBishop Luc Bouchard
- 2011: 9 St. Isidore couples attended St. Isidores 7 month Post Wedding seminar for married couples.
- 2011: Two retreats were held, one by Father Clair Watrin from the Way of Holiness retreat centre, Hinton Alberta and the other by Mark Mallett, theme let the Lord Know.
- 2011: The Historical Chapelle Society held their centennial celebration The opening ceremonies were held with a non-denominational candlelit ceremony and many fun activities.
- 2012: Heritage Day outdoor mass was held. See website for photos and details.
- 2012: Regional Parish Mission retreat was held at the St. Isidore church. It was a great honour to receive Father Larre who in recognition of his work with troubled children has received many distinguished awards throughout the years.